Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
Hi

We have rented this RV for 1 week to see if we would like it, and we did but I have a few questions or concerns that I would like to address. This was my first experience so many questions.

We drove 1245 Mi. in all kinds of condition and we averaged 9.6 MPG US. This mileage was done in the province of Quebec, Canada Eastern section by the Atlantic ocean.

1) Transmission = not towing anything, we started the trip putting it tow/haul, going down a hill like Randy mentioned it does the job, but the engine rpm could go up to 3500 even after the hill, with a high rpm does it affect the fuel economy.
Then we put it back to Off, and the RPM was quite lower, just put it On when sharp hills.
In Ford's manual they say that for fuel economy it is better to have it Off when not towing or having a heavy load.
In my mind high rpm = fuel
Pls let me know what are your impression on this.
issue.

....cut....

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Michel
Renting an Axis/Vegas sounds like a great idea if only I could find a location near me. I'll have to look harder as an option to Cruise America, which only rents basic Class Cs without slides or awnings. That's what we normally do when we need more space.

Anyway, regarding the transmission, keep in mind that the "new-and-improved" Ford E-Series chassis for 2016 that the Axis/Vegas is built on will have a different transmission. The newer 6R140 is reportedly superior to the 5R110 you tested. Not only is gear spacing tighter, and torque capacity higher, but the manual control of gear selection should come in handy for occasions like you describe.

As I've stated in other threads, while the 5R110 gets the job done, I don't like how it works for slowing an RV on steep downhills.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.