Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
My thinking here...
I never had understood why to change oil after a year old, even if miles have not been met.
Logic tells me: if new oil can sit for a year on a shelf in a container, never used, did it go bad?
I do not think so.

Somewhere along the way, I was told it was not good to run an engine for a few minutes every so often, when storing for month, or months at a time.
Because of the by products produced by an internal combustion engine and condensate accumulation within the crank case.
It is better to run until hot, like half hour or more, to get oil to temperatures enough to boil the water out, and rid through the EGR valve, or a breather on some engines.

I have never experienced a castatrophic engine failure doing it the way I do.
I still have one motorcycle I put over 168,000 miles on, and still running strong.

Like I said, how I approach it, and how I roll with it.
Mfr recommends 3K, I wait for 5K miles.
I have also been told changing the filters are more important, including the air filter!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.