Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 03:26 AM   #38
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I think the next big thing will be an electric pick up. The torque and power of an electric truck would be unmatched. What they need to really do is put a generator that runs on propane to keep the batteries charged giving it a unlimited range. Can you imagine getting 60-70 mpg equivalent towing 30k?

In my opinion, economics are not too favorable yet for electric because RV trailers don’t get driven enough miles to pay for the investment. The electric range pulling a 5er would be unacceptably short, and adding a generator to extend range would not accomplish enough over a standard drivetrain burning gasoline or propane. In case of large trucks like proposed by Tesla, they get driven as much as 100,000 miles per year or more.

That’s why I think that for many RV buyers, a large and powerful gasoline engine option that could tow, say, 20,000-pound trailer may be very successful. Other than lower fuel economy, I’m not aware of any reason why a gasoline engine can’t be designed and built tough enough for any size trailer.

For example, if Ford produced a 500 HP gasoline engine for Super Duty pickups, would it cannibalize PowerStroke sales? Probably so, which is partly why they haven’t.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.