Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
lspotho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Question Trying to charge batteries @ home - GFI wall plate@ home triggered instantly

Hi, all.

We just got back from a 2 day overnite at a local beach. The battery indicator for the coach was 3/4. Before putting it into storage, I thought I would charge it a little at home. All I have at home is old-fashioned 110 volt.

I ran an ordinary 50 foot extension cord out to the RV, added an adapter from the 110 plug to the 30 amp plug needed by my Progressive Industries EMS box, plugged in the EMS box - it said all was good. Plugged the RV cable into the EMS box - and instantly lost all power to the EMS. Turned out the GFI wall socket had popped. Disconnected it all, reset GFI, then did it all again - same thing.

So - am I doing something inherently wrong? Could the EMS and GFI be incompatible with each other? Or the GFI junction box be wired wrong? I have used it for other ordinary electrical needs. I did not really want to plug into a non-GFI circuit without some more knowledgeable person saying "go for it - assuming your homeowners insurance is up to date..."

This is a 2016 Thor Siesta Class C with 2 x 12 volt batteries, and Prog Ind EMS-PT30C.

I don't really want to use the generator at home, or at the storage place... Just want to know if this SHOULD work. Longer term, I'll probably have some 30 amp service installed at home.

Thanks
Dan

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum