Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Help me decide on Solar Panels for my Axis

I been thinking about adding solar panels to my Axis for over a year not but I have yet to pull the trigger. I know I will go with a MPPT solar charger and I have a couple in mind.... so thats not a problem. It just the darn panels that I cannot decide on.

Also I been hold off because Its really a matter "Do I really need them" (No).... "Do I want them".... Yes.

"Will I need them in the near future"... I think so.

We are hoping to visit BLM's by 2020 and we do a ton of day trips locally (Mtn biker - wife stays in RV while im out for hours + All day picnics).

Plus this looks like this is the last year to take advantage of the 30% tax break.

Not to mention I just want to learn about solar and live with it to see what I like/dont like.... Hope to install some on my house (myself) when I retire some day.

So at first I was going to go with ridgid panels but I think I changed my mind.

Ridgid panels:

Pros: A). Cheaper (but not by that much anymore).
B). More reliable + less defects
C). Little more effeicent in long run
D). Last longer (20+ years)

Cons:
A). I would want to secure with screws (possible leaks, takes longer to install).
B). Limit roof space - so I cant walk on them to inspect roof etc.
C). Stick up 2 or 3 inches off the roof = you can see them easier form the ground + less Aero + trees can hit and break them or rip off roof?
D). More maintainance? = check and repair dicor - might come loose over time - heavy.

Flexable Panels:

Pros: A). Lighter, easy to mount with Eternabond Tape.
B). More Areo + trees cant "break" them as easy.
C). Less maintance? = No Dicor needed (no holes in roof)
D). Quicker and easier to install = saves time.
F). Can walk on them for roof inpection / maintain (But would limit this just to be safe).

Cons: A). Not as reliable as rigid? But it Looks like the newer ones are impoved some.
B). Cost more (but the price is down ... so only like $30 - 50 more per a panel from my Amazon research).
C). Scratch easy, might cup but they still preform about the same?
D). Wont last as long = 10 years? (But I desided that in 8 - 10 years I will have a new RV so what does that matter?)

Either way I was planing on installing 300 watts because I want about 200 watts minimum for my TWO 6V 220 Amh batteries.

Having 300 watts will help with panels loosing efficiency over time / shading / cloudy days.

What do you think?

Who has Flexible Panels .... What do you LOVE or HATE about them..... What brand name?

Thanks for the help.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.