Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #38
Chuck and Mary Ann

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Squrly, All previous advice is great and I'll add one or two items. We bought our Class in Elkheart IN and drove back to Raleigh NC in October. The roads in several places were 2 lane for miles and at 55/60. so keeping yourself relaxed is key. Stop when you need to take a break and plan on one overnight getting back to NC - yes, you can do it in a day and I've done it many times towing our previous 5th wheel (2010 Keystone Cougar still for sale), but the dive can be tiring watching for all the "new" possibilities!
So here you go:
- Stop every 2-3 hours and stretch a bit, walk around and take 15/20 minutes to relax your brain!
- Don't try to go the speed of everyone else, find your speed for fuel economy and enjoyment - yes you will get passed a bunch, but what's the hurry!
- Always do a walk around when you get fuel - part of that 20 minute relaxation - check under the chassis as well to make sure a jack has not lost pressure!
- Always lock your door when driving and stopping - seems intuitive but a door could jar open going down the road!
- Don't be afraid to slow down on rough roads - to heck with the traffic - bumps and dips in a motorcoach will have you working harder than you think - adding to fatigue.
- Limit distractions (radio, chatter, etc.) for the first 30 miles to get the feel of the unit and how it tracks on the - pulls left, right, brake action, distance to slow in traffic - etc.
- Oh, and yes, get use to the brakes, BEFORE getting on the road - my wife was tossed a bit when I was getting use to the air brakes on the Palazzo - still take me time to get use to them when we go out.
Take you time and be on your own schedule if possible, but find that highway speed sweet spot and save yourself anxiety and some fuel costs - our sweet spot is about 63 mph on I-95.

Have a great trip - maybe we will see you in NC one day!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum