Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #22
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Yes, I'm also in Florida. It is a real problem. very discouraging for sure.
I've seen it transition over the years. I remember when we had our popup we could usually get in someplace. Part of that was because it was smaller and I could fit in more places I know...but that's not it totally. A few of the popular parks, such as on or near the beach, would be tougher to get in around school holidays and such...but it was still possible a few weeks out.
Then it became nearly impossible in those places, but inland less desirable parks were always an option.... Now even those are hard.

There are a few state and county parks here in FL that I've been trying to get into off an on for many years...some going back maybe 14 years or so....that I have never been able to find openings that would work for us....often even looking very far out.

Planning ahead works occasionally, but I'm finding any more that planning ahead even several months isn't any better. It's not realistic for me and many other weekend warriors to always plan ahead like that. I was looking about two months ago for plans for this coming weekend, and for Easter weekend. Basically I found nothing anywhere even remotely close to places we'd want to go.

and campgrounds that are first come first serve.... yeah, no thank you. That's all I need... Pack up Friday evening, load the family, drive a couple hours....or even just 30 minutes...only to find out they're full. Or worse yet, take a half or full day off work for either Friday or Monday when the kids have no school...only to find the same thing....no spots available...
And even without that worry I never cared for that personally. We've gone up into the GA state parks several times which are fist come first serve. You had a reservation...so you know there is a spot available....but which one. I don't even like that. Driving in trying to pick a spot.... well that one is no good, lets keep going around to see if there's anything better.... nope, the only other open one is worse....let's go back to that first one.... ugh, someone else snagged it. Yeah, no thanks.

....and about the "van life" thing.... I've been thinking over the last few years wondering if they are perhaps a big part of the reason more and more places like walmart are posting no overnights...and even the local ordinances that are prohibiting those type of ways to use an RV. I'm finding even that kind of thing to be more difficult....

It' like anything I guess...the law of entropy is king... and when there's something good, some few folks will use and abuse ruining it for everyone.

From what I can tell it' better out West in some areas because there's so much more BLM land available.

But here, I'm finding it very discouraging and have been thinking more and more about throwing in the towel with the RV for now.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum