Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #25
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I am going to throw this out, just because my little "voices" are arguing back and forth. We haven't done as much "boondocking" as we are planning on doing, but so far we have tried to find nice shady spots to park to keep the temps down in our VEGAS..

So, then the question in my head becomes, "if I am trying to find a shady parking spot, that probably wont be conclusive to rooftop solar"..

And since solar while driving isn't probably a high priority (since the alternator helps to charge the batteries)do I really want roof top solar, or would building an easy setup portable solar be more useful...

Any input from all you boondockers would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah, I'm not the "boondocker" that you are directing your question to...but my thoughts...
and my perspective is the occasional weekend RV'er, who does an occasional overnight stop off grid...and on a few trips we've done about 1/2 of the nights off grid (walmart, truck stops, etc..)...and I do an annual trip..well most years....where I'll park at sun n fun for 2-3 night straight without hookups and without driving. I don't have an inverter and have the 2-way propane type fridge
I've been considering solar mainly just to keep batteries topped off in storage...but also to supplement the generator (or alternator) for recharging.

so to your question...
I've found that mostly the driving I do between overnight stops...and the generator running for house AC during the day... is enough to keep it topped up more or less...although as I understand it, it takes many hours to get the battery from nearly full to 100%...and those days when I'm just driving around town (or for example back and forth between the camp site and the visitor center at the grand canyon) might not be enough... especially considering during that time I might also be drawing down the batteries by starting the genny several different times throughout the day.

Disregarding the use for the time in storage....When 'on the go' I figure there are tons of times in a typical day when solar would give me at least some charge. Even when parked in the shade the thing is rarely fully shaded. Also, lots of time sitting in full or partial sun at stop lights where the alternator isn't charging as much...or times when it is also charging the chassis battery. When stopped for a few hours at a museum...or a store... getting gas...grabbing lunch...or wherever.

just some thoughts for brainstorming, not based on verified science....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.