Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: what is it for?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
some come with 'slide locks', while other don't, but the necessity of them is unclear, as some are bound to use them, while the rest of us never have...

while I understand that there may be a 'fear' that the slides could somehow 'extract' themselves while moving or driving, it's really just a fear. Slides mechanics are designed to only 'move' the slide room with some type of power, such as 12v motors or 12v hydraulics. Neither of these will typically work while the motorhome is in gear, or some won't work even with just the ignition 'on', like mine, a safety feature.

I've never used any type of slide lock in over 90,000 miles... though I've driven with the slides open around a parking lot, or with our main slide slightly open when it had a gear track problem, and that was for over 1,000 miles back to the factory.

Use one if you feel like you should, don't if you don't...

our motorcoach even has a 'warning' label in the cabinet above the entry door, above the main slide switch, which reads something to the effect of "always remove slide locks before operating slides, and always reinstall slide locks before moving", or similar. The coach did not come with any slide locks, and I believe these are just the 'typical' warning disclaimers provided by any/every manufacturer for any/every RV with slide rooms.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum