Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
Cpd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Bought our (used, had 1063 miles on it) 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE just about two months ago. We transitioned from a 26 ft TT. The ONLY thing I miss from the TT is the outdoor kitchen.
I knew when I bought the RV that I was going to have to do a few mods to make it like we wanted it.
First off was the bed extension. I'd prefer a King bed but can live with a Queen as long as it's long enough for my 6'3" body. The RV Queen just doesn't hack it. I had to extend the bed in my TT so I had a good starting point.
When the bedroom slide is in the stowed position, the cabinets actually touch the foot of the mattress. Fortunately, the existing mattress extended over the bed platform so there was some room for me to add a fold down extension.
Attachment 13809
Originally I bought a foam block to insert between the wall and the head of the mattress that pushed the mattress down to make it long enough for me to lay on it. But, the existing mattress proved to be uncomfortable so we decided to replace it with a more comfortable one.

After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.

Attachment 13810
Attachment 13811
Now when we are ready to pack up and leave, I flip up the mattress foot, fold down the bed extension and retract the slide without breaking anything. (I did put a placard by the slide switch to remind myself (and others) to fold the bed extension down.

Next was the Dinette. I don't think the designers were thinking about comfort when they designed this unit. The dinette is on the passenger's side and the back of the forward dinette bench rests solidly against the upright passenger seat in the cab. This makes it impossible to even slightly recline the passenger seat.
Attachment 13812
At first I thought about rebuilding dinette bench to allow the back to be folded down, but since that would have eliminated the storage under that seat anyway, I decided to just remove the bench entirely any use two chairs instead. I found two nice folding chairs on CW website and ordered them. They actually look like they were intended for this use. When we travel, the chairs are folded up and stowed with the ladder on the over cab bunk.
Attachment 13813

Continued in part2.
Love the mods you've done. I'm wanting to take the other side of the dinette out - wondering if anyone has done this as there is a sensor and an outlet there. Can anyone help with what to do with these?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum