Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
Soldier Girl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Hit some state parks in AR on the way out west. We have some beautiful ones here!!
I would love to do that!!! Hopefully this year. I've noticed they're fairly affordable (even for me) & some give military discounts on top of taking my Access America card! Previous generations of my family lived in AR, MO, KS & TN during & prior to the civil war. I've always loved history & want to explore the beautiful area.

My original warranty issue still isn't completed, though. They just ordered the part the Friday before I came back in on Monday (they finally got the warranty approval). They think it may come in by mid March now...

They were able to fix my Atwood with a new motherboard that they pulled from one of their new Ace arrivals since it was a real health & welfare issue.

Otherwise it seems corporate would have made them wait to order it until they approved the warranty coverage - I guess the dealer knows I'll be back if it gets denied for the other part I'm waitin on, lol!

Some folks seemed surprised that I have had a mostly positive experience w/this cw. I think I know why. Their company was independent until a few months ago & they still have the work ethic & culture of the private family owned business they had been, so they're really having growing pains adjusting to the big corporate bureaucracy.
I hope they can hang onto their values through this transition. I've heard folks walking to and from offices or out to the repair hangers mumbling obscenties regardin their new corporation...

If I had gotten out of here earlier in the winter, I woulda followed my initial plan for this 1st year, to use the military posts & boondocking as needed to head South & West, stopping to bug various siblings along the way (I'm number 6 of 9 - resistance is futile!), & finally seeing my mother outside of Sacramento no later than March (she's getting rather impatient, mentioning her age of 85 at least once a week, lol!).

I had already got a jump on the camping season by applying early to several cg's in need of camp hosts in exchange for my own site & in some cases a small stipend. I had quite a few contact me & 2 firm offers (only 1 that I really would've jumped on, had I been free of the East coast...). So much for "best laid plans..." on how to live well & frugally throughout the season! If I get anything now, it will be a miracle (especially since I'm still dodging storms).

Oh, & someone asked why I didn't just head to a cg down South for the rest of my wait of a monh or more, like Florida, & stay put... Well, my house hasn't sold yet (another monkey wrench) & that leaves me on a very fixed income.

The military posts down there that are affordable have no openings for months (I did manage to get a spot for 2 days between two long termer reservations at the Jackosonville Naval Air Station - that place was awesome!). My brother complained that I brought he 1st hard freeze he had ever experienced there in my wake, lol!

My house in Maryland can't be lived in right now. It's still in "rehab" from six floods last year - did I mention I haven't sold it yet???? I can't even use it to hook up to while I wait, unfortunately. There's no access to it whatsoever in this rig. It's on a tiny congested dead end street in a busy older portion of Northern B-more.

To add insult to injury, Maryland is not very rv friendly. I've found only two Wallmarts that will let me pull in for the night & one cracker barrel near Hagerstown, and no rest stops that allow overnite stops.

I did find a park in Greenbelt that allows overnite parking for $10 a night when space is available, with no hook ups whatsoever. The state parks are rather expensive for me & the ones that I could afford for a few days are only open seasonally.

Even the 3 military posts that have rv stays yearlong are as expensive as the state parks. There's a sying in the Cav for this kind of thing, "It builds character, Troop"! Soooo, that's why I'm becoming adept at running before the storms...
[emoji39] [emoji190]

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum