Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Fmca
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #13
dlbeck27

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm a member....but have never been active in any of the meetings or chapters. From what I've seen looking at pictures and stories about chapter events and such, it seems to be mostly or perhaps all a bit older folks...not exactly my demographic...I'm on the older side but still have a young family....

It seems like it's kind of in an odd place... sort of an orginazation/model for a different time...a time before today's social media, and our having anything and everything at our fingertips.

I could be very wrong about all of that.

Anyway, I'm not completely closed about the idea of doing more, just haven't seen anything of interest there.

I'd imagine that it's good folks...and if I had time on my hands I have no doubt that there would be friendships to be made at meetings and outings.
I am a member of FMCA. I have not been to any of their rallies yet. Mainly because I belong to two local RV groups and don't have time for FMCA rallies yet. The benefits of a monthly magazine, travel and emergency services, windshield and tire discounts and several other benefits are why I joined. I look forward to participating in a chapter outing in a couple of months.

I think that the older folks demographic is not just an FMCA issue. Many organizations are dealing with this issue. Elks, Moose, American Legion, VFW, Lions, conservation groups like Mule Deer, Ducks Unlimited, Wild Turkey Foundation, etc., all have an older membership and are looking for younger members to keep them from folding.

For whatever reason, younger people (45 or less) don't seem to have the time or desire to belong to social groups. They don't even have time for their immediate family in many cases.

What you must remember is that many of us older folk joined many of these organizations when we were in our thirties or forties or younger. We took our kids camping, hunting, fishing, travelling to family events. Our kids were welcomed at our social gatherings and still are. When we were children we often didn't have a choice as to whether or not we were going. We went because we were told we were going. Eventually we came to enjoy the activities and friendships with other kids and looked forward to next time. Eventually when we got older we joined these groups.

Today, even though we may have included our children in these activities, as they grew older social media, pressure to work, work, work and other stressors have kept them from joining and taken away their desire to continue in the "old" ways.

I feel that many organizations are doomed because there aren't enough younger members to keep them going. Escapees recognized this and has created a spinoff group, Xscapers, for the younger crowd. FMCA recognized that they needed more members and opened up membership to all RVers, not just owners of motor coaches.

I like FMCA because it provides many services and benefits that are as good as or better than Good Sam and similar organizatins.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum