Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 AM   #5
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I agree with aa9zz. I have a 2014 Vegas 24.1 and it is our third RV in the last 8 Years. We started with a Class B Pleasure Way in 2007 and traveled all over the U.S. for three summers. In 2010 we upgraded to a Class B+ Phoenix Cruiser (22') with a lot more room and a real shower. We had that for three years and took it to Nova Scotia one summer and 14,000 miles to Alaska another summer. In 2014 we purchased the Vegas and have taken it to eastern Canada (3months) and Alaska this summer (4+ months). Each of the three met our needs at the time. We have been retired the whole time and so we can stay out for 2-3 months at a time. Since we live in South Florida, it is a long drive to just get out of the state. We like to stay in national and state parks and it is unusual for us to stay more than 3 days in one place. Going from 18' to 22 to 25.5' has had its issues. But the increased room and liveability of the Vegas makes it a hands down winner for us. In over 4 months this summer we only stayed in a hotel one night and this was because of a probes with our shore power on a hot night. In the previous RVs we would stay in a motel about one night a week. We are really more comfortable in the Vegas than a hotel.
I cannot speak to the Sprinter vs. Vegas issue engine wise. But my last two RVs have had the Ford V-10 and I have been very happy with it. When you look at the additional cost of the diesel and the cost of maintenance, (look at an oil change) it takes a lot of miles before the diesel beats the V-10 on overall cost. In 15,500 miles from Florida ro Alaska and back I had two oil changes ($40 a piece) and I averaged over 10 mpg. I did 80 across South Dakota and climbed the Rockies twice and the engine ran like a top. I also have been very impressed with the Ford Dealers I have run into in my travels. They have been much more helpful than the RV dealers.

Whichever you buy, I'll bet you will enjoy it and - if you are like most of us - you will probably upgrade in 3-4.years. One final word. I owned sail boats for many years before I traded the last one in for a land yacht. And the best sail boat is the smallest one that will meet your needs. I think that holds true with land yachts too.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum