Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 AM   #5
analoguy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #14380
blw2,
Thanks for the reply. Well, there will always be different opinions, especially when it comes to something like "handling", which nobody can define anyway. But, in general, when I talk to RVer's who really drive their rigs hard, they will always tell me that you need a steering upgrade for the Ford gas chassis.

My first trip as a new RVer was to drive to Alaska. That was 14,000 miles roundtrip. I saw every kind of driving condition and I experienced almost everything you could imagine. Well, I did not hit a moose!!

But, generally speaking, with a brand new rig, 36 foot, I struggled. In particular, with any sort of cross wind, it became very difficult. With a sever cross wind, say 30 mph +, it became extremely dangerous at times, especially on 2 lane roads.

So, my point is simply this: when I buy a new vehicle, any brand, I should expect to get the best handling/safety equipment at the time, built into my new vehicle. I should not have to figure out what to do.

In my particular case, upon return, I installed HD shocks in the front (Bilstein), and did my 2nd trip to Canada (6,000 miles). This was much improved, but problems continued. I am now getting ready for my 3rd summer on the road, and am now installing the Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer. I am told this will solve all my problems. Well, we will find out.

My point, I guess, is since I am willing to buy a brand new vehicle, it should come with any equipment needed for stability or steering safety. I should not have to figure this out for myself. Imagine if Chevy sold their cars this way: they would be in deep doo doo immediately.

Happy Trails, Jim

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.