Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I used to do a fair bit of off roading (not serious rock crawling or mud bogging of course) when I was a teen/young adult many years ago. The only 4x4 I ever had was an old 1966 model bronco with the small inline 6 engine. That thing was so worn out the engine didn't have enough compression to stay still when parked on a hill! That said, I had a few different pickups with limited slip diffs that could go places a lot of friends with 4x4 couldn't go. I've seen a few 4x4 trucks stuck with one font wheel and one opposite rear wheel spinning. Then when the go in reverse the opposite two wheels spin.... so when they get out and look they see that all 4 where spinning. They probably never even know their 4x4 is only driving 2....just about the same as a limited slip 2wd. I remember once not too many years ago offering to pull a guy out that was stuck like that

Anyway, I guess I probably agree that a person that buys this to go serious mountain climbing almost deserves it...no way the house will hold up to the twisting.

Anyway, if I could afford it, I would love to trade in my 31L for my same floor plan on that chassis.... even though in the almost 5 years we've had it I've never come close to needing 4wd. (in reality I'd be just as happy with the 2wd version). Still, I've been very reluctant to tow our boat, mostly because the ramps around here are mostly all in tidal waters and are therefore fairly long....and I just can't get past that mental image. Also, I remember one of our first trips out to a SP in GA. The sites were all very flat..basically a grass field...but it had been raining and it was a bit soft. No problems...but I think that's an example of where it could come in handy.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.