Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Solar setup
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Wow, you are sure 'going for it', though I suspect that the room on the roof will be the limiting factor... but I'm also not sure what you mean by 'use 100% of solar for my power needs' as solar power won't be able to power the Air conditioner(s), water heater, etc., because they require more power than the inverter can provide, at least not long with only several batteries.... a few minutes or so, then your batteries would be dead.

solar is not the end-all just because you have a lot of panels.. the 'storage' of the power is probably even more critical, as the sun is only out for several hours each day, at least when it's not cloudy, rain, or otherwise overcast. The issue is the hours for the rest of the day when no sun is able to give you 'solar' - where you store it is the real issue - lots and lots of battery amp hours are needed...and even then, it really depends on what you mean to 'power' during those off-sun hours.

I would doubt with the size of the output of this system that you could use anything already provided by the manufacturer. A custom designed wiring scheme, panel mounting and placement, and battery bank sizing is your biggest concerns.

You have a relatively small rig for such a large solar package.

and, you already have a sizable inverter- why would you need to spend $2,000+ more for another? You would also have to wire this thru a sub-panel, or wire it directly into your ATS or main breaker panel if you really want to have access to powering 'everything' from the inverter - but that's not a typical setup - not even for any 'big rigs' - the inverter is only designed to handle smaller 'normal' loads, such as outlets, residential fridge, microwave, etc....
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.