Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well this is usually a hot potato subject because everyone has their own preference or horror story with caulking an RV. So lets stir the pot a bit.

I think most RVers will say not to use Silicone caulking on anything RV.....and I think it is because getting it all off in a few years is essential before trying to apply a new bead of any caulk (including more silicone).

So my horror story is using Geocel Pro Flex RV caulking to do wheel flares and some body side mouldings. This stuff is supposed to be the right stuff for RV's......but if you are used to caulking bathtubs/sinks and windows around the house with your typical forgiving Home Depot caulks that go on easy and you run your wetted bare finger down the bead to smooth it out and clean the edges up.......Geocel will be a new adventure in your life. It is sticky like contact cement and while you can smooth it with a "plastic gloved" wetted finger at the right cure time, I would highly suggest taping off both body edges of where you want this caulking to go. I am not a caulking greenhorn (or so I thought)....but I found this Geocel not very forgiving. I know there are lots of RVers who swear by it and never had a problem. I wonder if there is something out there too that is as easy to apply and smooth out as home caulks; non silicone and that cures in a few hours, not a few weeks as many do? Dicor for the roof is the standard for most.....certain TPO roofs can accept the standard cheaper Dicor products (I think the fleece backed TPO can).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.