Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Solar setup
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #31
azadv

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
I installed 400 watts of Renogy solar panels (4 100 watt panels) and a TriStar MPPT 45 controller (with wall remote) in my Outlaw 29H last winter/spring for my trip to AK and the east coast. Bought controller from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, good place. Setup worked very well for me, out of 4.5 months on the road I only stayed at sites with electrical hookups for about 15 days, and only because those locations were cheap! My rig had 10 gauge wire already installed from the roof to behind the electrical panel area inside (that's what they call solar ready), I did all the rest (fishing wires to mount remote etc). The panels on the roof are in series. Also installed 2 cutoff switches between the roof panels and controller, and controller and battery connection. Coach batteries are 2 6-volt Costco golf cart batteries to replace the cheapo OEM Thor 12v ones. Oh, and made the solar panel mounts and panel tilting parts myself because places wanted SO much for that stuff. Can't imagine a rig without solar, for me. I probably spent about $1200-$1300 in parts not counting a couple hundred for the golf cart batteries.

In this photo you can see the system is providing 27.1 amps charging current to the house batteries:

azadv is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum