Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, the plastic shavings you find in the pump filter screen are typically from the factory drilling hole cores of your fresh water tank for sensors and fill/drain lines. You probably will find these shavings for a couple years so regular seasonal filter checks are a good idea.
If |I read your text correctly it sounds like to suspected the shore water feed was flowing back through the pump into the fresh water tank. This can happen and has been discussed many times on the forum. Sometimes this occurs because of the integral pump anti backflow valve failing open. Sometimes you can just use the pump a few times (no shore water connected) and try to reseat the anti backflow valve again. If this does not work you can replace the pump (or just its valve if it is easily replaceable) which is an expensive approach relatively; or you can plumb in a stand alone anti backflow valve in line with the pump (make sure the water flow arrow is in the correct direction on the valve). Make sure it is a problem first.....partially fill the fresh tank and check level. Then connect the shore water and watch the fresh water tank level lights to see if the fresh tank is filling. I hope that is what you were asking about.
This is a very accurate assessment of, what I believe, is going on. If the shavings are coming from the fresh water tank and appeared on the outside of the filter, it means the pump is 'pulling' water from the tank. However, the arrow points toward the tank, perhaps suggesting an improper installment; though the lettering adjacent to the arrow seems to be upside down.

I read your response a number of times. This is something I want to get straightened out.

"...the shore water feed was flowing back through the pump into the fresh water tank. This can happen and has been discussed many times on the forum". Can you share the search words that will reference those posts?

"...or you can plumb in a stand alone anti backflow valve in line with the pump". Is this the supply side (fresh tank) or the output side (e.g. faucet)?

Thank you for your response. You offered more information than you realize. Safe Travels and keep the rubber side down.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum