Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
John S

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2521
Our New Vegas 24.1

Hello,

We purchased a new '16 Vegas 24.1 just over a month ago and have been spending time mostly getting it set up the way we like it. This is our 4th RV in 43 years. There was a period in the middle where we were mostly working and raising kids and did not have any kind of RV. This is the first motorhome. The three previous were travel trailers. First one was a pop-up.

So far, I have been busy fixing all of the things Thor and Camping World neglected to do.
My punch list so far: Before we ever got it off the dealer lot, they had to replace a tire. It had a large screw right in the middle of the tread. I spotted it immediately on the walk-around. They did not see it at all. Camping World was going to plug it until I told them they could keep it. They had to steal a tire and wheel off another Vegas to repair it.
When I asked if there was any LP in the tank, we discovered it read full inside, but read empty outside. Camping World had to replace the tank gauge. It was a very long day at the dealership.
Camping World had to replace the big round sewer compartment lid. The original was missing.

I installed edge trim along the bottom of the dashboard after my wife complained of the sharp edges.
I added velcro along both edges of the shower curtain to help keep it closed. I discovered that fix on our last travel trailer.
Had to adjust the strike plate on the door after I got stuck inside. I had to head-butt the door to get out.
One day, I could not get it out of Park. That one seems to have cured itself, I hope.
Installed a ScanGauge. I like all of the info it provides including my average mpg, which so far seems to be 11.9 on the highway and somewhat less in town.
Installed a brass hot water heater quick drain.
Added labels to unlabeled switches.
Replaced all of the CH751 locks with Combi-Cam locks. Ten of them altogether.
Removed outer rear valve stem extensions, reworked them a bit so I could check the air and install TireMinder sensors. I can't believe they were installed in such a way as to make it impossible to check the air pressure. Ended up re-bending them to a better angle in order to get them to where they were supposed to be.

The first time I turned on the windshield wipers, the wiper on the driver's side went flying across the parking lot. The washer sprayers seem to spray all over the place, including straight out the front. I'll have to figure out how they adjust. Otherwise the car in front of me will end up with a clean rear window.

The right rear mud flap has melted where it rides up against the exhaust. I'll cut off the melted part when it isn't so hot outside.
Something must be wired backwards in the brake pedal wiring. It will not start if you have your foot on the brake. The E350 manual says you have to put your foot on the brake to start the engine.
The passenger side window, all of the rubber trim fell off of it. Stuck it back up there, but I'm pretty sure it will need a different strip of rubber with better adhesive.
Left front cargo bin has a strip of molding hanging loose. Looks the they put a staple in the trim before they got it in the right position.
Discovered the warranty start date on the chassis is 3 months prior to the dealer selling it to me. I've read somewhere in the Forums that the dealer can correct this with Ford, but you have to make them do it.
The radio is not completely into the dashboard on the pax side.
The generator will start from the control panel but not from the dash switch. Either switch will shut it off.
One of the cabinets in the bedroom has it's handle mounted in a different spot than all the rest of the cabinets. It's mounted higher, right into the routed part of the wood edge just before the inner panel. What were they thinking?
My phone connected to the bluetooth easy enough. But no sound comes out of it. The Axxera radio seems like an awkward, el cheapo, piece of junk.
My biggest disappointment: I am surprised at the "Owner's Manual." It is incredibly cheap and generic it could be used with any motorhome, any year, any manufacturer. One would think that for close to a six figure vehicle they could have done a substantially better job. It seems more of an afterthought than an actual owner's manual. An embarrassment.

A lot of issues, and it seems I add more every day. All prior RV's we have owned have also had their issues. Looks like just a lot of sloppiness and carelessness. But it drives like a dream and we both love it so far. There is an upside to all of the things I have had to fix. I am now intimately familiar with most of the systems on this thing and tinkering with it gives me some degree of pleasure. These forums have given me a great deal of info as to what to look for and how to make things better. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Our first big trip is coming up at the end of the month to California. I hope the snow holds off until we get back.

John & Carol
Two old and gray haired retirees

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum