Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #19
vegasruv24.1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
FWIW... this got me a little curious...
Seems aluminum build practices from around the 80's and now are quite different! Guess there were a lot of issues in those early offerings that have changed the alloys used today in frames etc... now the weight delta is much less. Like maybe only up to 10-20% and that's really not much (matches what you report seeing).
The basic summary in my few minutes of reading various tidbits was that I'd probably buy steel today unless there was some other factor of great importance to me. The only thing I can think of is corrosion but they both corrode in their own ways and environment reactions so that would be low on my care list relative to the fact I don't usually keep things longer than a decade.
I live in the dry desert, I have a 10 year plus 24'r that still looks new... steel frame and cage. aluminun skin...no cracks on the welds, full frame paint, so underside still looks like new...but like said, we don't use it in the salt roads,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Aluminum saves weight but I have seen a few stress failures among people I race with.
same here... I also see problems with the steel to the aluminum on the tongue...

with every thing unloaded from my 22'r triple axel... weight is 4500 lbs...so going to an all aluminum 20'trailer the weight savings would be about 1700lbs , if the trailer weighs 2800lbs.... but a steel frame 20'r weighs about 3000. to 3200lbs... so weight savings of about 1500 to 1300 lbs...

so with my coach weight of 16,600, loaded.. leaves 6400 tow capacity .trailer weight of 2800lbs leaves 3600lbs cargo...I know people that go 3-4000 lbs over GCCR, all over the country... for years with out a problem
, ….but my quest is to put my set up on a diet... and get under weight... if I can..I also own a couple open car haulers , a 20'r and a 12'r, the 12'r I had custom made with 5200 lb axels, brakes on both axels to haul a jeep..and the 20'r , hauls the 2 rzr's with ease...I have big garages in both my havasu and vegas homes..so they get stored inside the garage..(the RZR's)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.