Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I would too, but the system is pretty simple, so if the compressor is off and the fan switch is on auto, then the fan is still getting power somehow. Did this happen immediately when you replaced the thermostat or did the system work correctly initially and then not turn off on auto? One other question? Did your new thermostat have a high and low fan switch and how did you wire it if it did not?

If the wiring at the thermostat is not the problem, then it is may be the box up in the vent. You might check to see if the auto side of the fan switch at the thermostat has constant power as does the “on” side with the thermostat connected.

If I understand your first post correctly, your fan runs with no thermostat connected at all. Since I believe the fan is powered by the fan wire being connected to the red power wire at the thermostat, if the fan runs with all the wires at the thermostat disconnected then that fan wire must be receiving 12v from somewhere. I would check to see if it is “hot” with a volt meter and if it is, find the box under the AC and disconnect that wire from the box. It is a spade connector and just pulls out. If the fan stops, you’ve isolated it to that wire. If the fan continues to run with that wire disconnected at the box, then that box might be bad.
Good luck. 12v electrical issues are so much “fun”. I finally called in an AC guy on my issues after I installed a new thermostat. Turned out that the info I got on the internet was incorrect and you could not combine the high and low fan wires. When you did, it confused the “box” which didn’t know whether it should be on high or low speed and kept shutting down the compressor. I could have played with it forever and never solved the problem. Glad I spent $100 and had a professional fix it by disconnecting one wire. Better that than having a “hot” wife complain thru the entire trip.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum