Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
Sweetbriar

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
I fault with Linksis, TPLink, NetGear, D-Link hardware and pretty much lost the battle every time. Had enough of firmware updates that would dump configuration or brick the unit, port forwarding configurations that were obscenely difficult to set up, inability to maintain design data flow and bandwidth, slowly loosing WiFi range and bandwidth and so on. In other words I had enough.

(Que the storm clouds parting, golden rays of sunshine, a rainbow bow in the distances with butterflies and throw in a unicorn)

And then I got an Apple AirPort Extreme and life has been good ever since. Closing on the third year of service and not one hiccup, drop out, programming failure, nothing. It justs sits there and performs day after day. Power losses have never been a problem. It boots right up like nothing happened once power is restored. I can stream on as many devices as I want along with multiple HD security cameras, a network DVR and network storage server that we can access remotely, Fire Sticks all over the place and everything always works.

One word of caution, you have to have some type of Apple device to configure it. Be it a Mac, iPad or iPhone. The configuration application no long supports a Windows environment (go figure). I also have two AirPort Express routers hardwired to the Extreme that I use to extend the wireless network. Older home with real 1/2" think plaster walls (and probably leaded glass windows). WiFi doesn't carry real well to all parts of the homestead.

Apple stuff ain't cheap but it always seems to work. My router was refurbished so about half the price as new but still a chunk of my disposable budget for the month. But well worth it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.