Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Telework successfully

I had done short 'working trips' in old RV - a few days typically - but last winter did 3 months of telework from my Hurricane... (not self-employed)
I converted the front passenger seat to an 'office' - the dash has a flip out table that became keyboard rest - monitor on the dash... plenty of 'desk space' with the table in place between drivers and passengers seat.. And out of the way of the other RV resident...

For connectivity - I had set up a PicoStation2 to connect to the campground (or other) wifi as a single device (typically they limit the number of devices... this way they only see one) - and feeding a linksys router that was my local wireless inside the RV - my PC and other devices connected to that... All tested on my home wireless before leaving.
(as a backup - phone supports a hotspot which I successfully used - including VPN - and also tested in advance.)
A single switch in my 'IT Closet' powers up the router and Picostation.. Both run on 12 volts. Ideally I want the PicoStation on the roof (TV antenna mast) - and run the Ethernet cable through roof (uses PoE - Power over Ethernet - so only one cable to the Pico) - haven't tackled that yet...

The dependency is of course the RV Park wireless... They had a wireless issue in my section (of course) - so after a week I ended up paying for high speed internet from Comcast to limit my phone data use... That of course discovered a wiring issue in the RV - while the factory cable wiring carried the tv signal fine - it wouldn't carry the high speed internet at all - No tone on the cable tester...
So a splitter outside and a separate cable wire slipped in through the slide track to the cable modem solved that issue (still need to fix permanently...) Used the cable router wireless network and bypassed the Picostation and Linksys router in that config.
I had hoped not to pay for the internet - but small price for 3 months away..
(RV Park is redoing their wireless - and promises it will work better next winter - we'll see...)

Bottom line - it worked well - and I would do it again...
From the nature of my job - no one except my boss knew where I was... unless I told them... and was able to work without missing a beat.

Hope that helps... Feel free to ask questions...
Greg

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.