Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
chevylou

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #7592
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith herrington View Post
Just got back from a 1000+ mile trip in our 2017 Quantum RS26 to Lake Ontario to visit the in-laws. After a week on the road my wife and I got home and proceeded to strip the unit of all belongings in anticipation of it going into the shop for further warranty work. Upon emptying the front right outside storage bin I found the the box floor had warped due to the weight of the contents and taken a set, as only plastic can. The bottom of the bin was not attached to RV house by anything other than a strip of double adhesive 1/2" X 1" foam insulation, similar to home window weather stripping. Rather than get into a debate with the dealer or manufacturer (it is simply a design flaw) I decided to fix it myself.

I leveled the bin floor using a car jack and a block of wood. I then pushed the weather stripping into the correct position for maximum sealing, the drilled holes in the bottom's flange. After installing 12 big head screws through the flange into the bottom of the house wall, I sealed the perimeter of the bin with silicone sealant. I then took a 4' section of treated 2X4 and screwed it to the bottom of the bin, underneath the unit. To make extra sure it held, I installed 36 screws, 3 for each of the 12 channels. After the treated wood drys for a while I'll cover it all with flex seal.

I still won't carry heavy items in this bin but it sure won't warp and cause problems from here on out.

Keith

I just discovered that the bottom of the rear (left) storage compartment was extremely soft. I cut a piece of1/2” plywood approx 18X50 inches and installed L brackets. I will try to include pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	16679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	16680

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum