Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
30more

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Pinicale 3050
State: Florida
THOR #14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well if the OEM converter cooked the previous batteries then it was probably due for replacement/upgrade......so this may be a blessing in disguise. I think that Progressive Dynamics does have a 55 amp replacement for older converters, but I am not sure if replaces yours specifically or not; nor do I know if it is suitable for AGM or Lithium batteries since I use one for my cheap and dirty wet cell batteries.....going on 7 years now on the original Harris coach batteries (but I don’t boondock very often though). You could try calling PD and see what they say:
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/

After reading your original situation again it seems that the hydraulic slide was the final straw for the converter. Many basic converters have an in line re-settable 50 amp breaker in series (or what is appropriate for the converter used) between the converter DC output and the coach batteries.......so you would think if you were drawing more current during the slide event, than the converter could supply, the breaker would have tripped before the converter burned up. Of course an old converter may have had its own issues that caused it to fail; maybe combined with hydraulics that may also be drawing more than they normally would when new (binding; lube; misalignment; motor winding short, etc).
I normally always suggest device replacements that comply with original design to err on the side of safety. If it all worked at one time with a 55 amp converter.....it should continue to do so if the failure cause is resolved. You sound like you have a plan in mind for upgrading the charging system overall so I will leave that one for you to resolve. I hope it works out for you and you get your systems running again. It is a good challenge to keep older coaches running safely and reliably.
I went with the company you suggested for a converter and they make a 60 amp that is a direct replacement for the Waco 9855. So I will consider this thread closed! On to my next issue...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.