Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 AM   #29
workhorsed

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #14862
why use E85 or any fuel containing alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Thanks for the info Norrin. A mechanic at a repair shop in West Yellowstone told me something similar. He pointed out as you stated if you fill up at 6,500 ft. then head down to lower elevation the engine may develop spark knock when under load. So as the engine mfgrs say to run their product at minimum 87 octane I do not want to assume the risk of potentially damaging an engine to save .20 a gallon on gas. Running a vehicle with less than the mfgrs suggested octane rating could potentially void the warranty. Though I was surprised by the amount of people filling with the 85.
Besides the many problems with plugged and rotted carb bits, especially if you have an Onan gennie and live where your unit is inaccessible for 5 or 6 months of the year and you can't do the 2 hours a month "exercise" routine on it. I just don't use any form of blended fuel when possible. However my last fill of the season is always at a rural farm equipment dealership that has straight gas, right up into the filler neck, no messing with additives and no more problems.. Lots of his customers operate expensive farm equipment that is twenty or thirty years old and is still very serviceable but wont survive a couple of tanks of modern wonder juice which incidently because of the lower caloric content will reduce your mileage by more than 5 or 6%. Ain"t The Guvmint great!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum