Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
9600 pounds is correct...

Did you know that they are intentionally down-rated by the manufacturer by 500 pounds?

(I found this out when I was looking for ways to beef it up...

Ford specifications state/list 9,600 pounds for E-450 rear axle and that’s good enough for me. Besides, the factory tires are not rated much above that, so not much room to overload. Key is to purchase a motorhome with ample Cargo Carrying Capacity.

For what it’s worth, sometimes Ford Specs show an axle capacity that is much higher than the GAWR, particularly for the rear. All that means is that Ford limits chassis load to that axle much lower for other reasons. An example is the SRW (single rear wheel) E-350 Cutaway. Its rear axle is limited to 6,084 pounds by the tires, but the rear axle is either 7,800 or 8,500 pounds.

With heavier-duty wheels and tires, there is a great opportunity for Ford to market a SRW E-350 Cutaway with GVWR in the 11,000- to 12,000-pound range. I would personally like that better than duallies in that size/weight range.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.