Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: 31L & Solar
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #17
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
We have a 2016 31L. 4KW Onan and two Grp 24 Interstate batteries. When boondocking we also carry a 2KW Yamaha generator. Unless we want to use the AC we do not run the 4KW.
We have installed two Renogy RNG-150D 150 Watt solar panels.
The 30A Wanderer charge controller is mounted in the cabinet above the refrigerator. It does get warm in there so the door is usually open all of the time.
The transfer switch is mounted under the bed with all the other electronics.
The Cobra 1500 watt invertor is mounted on the floor under the passenger's seat. It is not a pure sine wave inverter. The remote on/off switch is mounted low near the disconnect, awning and light switches near the entry door.
Mounting the inverter under the passenger seat keeps it close to the batteries and let's it get good air circulation.
Lights, wall outlets and refrigerator are connected to the invertor.
Wife is disabled and watches TV most of the day. During the late Spring, summer and early Fall months the solar usually keeps the batteries charged enough so we don't have to run the smaller generator except for a couple of hours in the evening to top off the batteries in case we need the heater in the morning.
During the winter months if we are in the snow or it is raining we will have to run the small generator more often.
We only boondock 8-10 weeks a year and find that the two 12 volt batteries, with the solar and generator, are all we need to keep us comfortable.
Dave
Thanks! I'd love to see any pictures you might have and could share, especially of your wire routing. Above the fridge was the first place I considered for the controller...but the heat you mentioned as well as trying to stay out of the hot chimney...made me more or less rule it out.
Anyway, from there, did you run your tray cables straight down behind the furnace then under cabinets forward to the battery?

I have not thought about inverter much yet, but it has not dawned on me to locate under the seat. Seems like a great idea....except how did you route the feed out of it?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.