Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #20
Fish and Dear

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I always fill my gas tank especially after a trip. The fuller the tank the less condensation in the tank

I usually keep my water full or close to it. You never know what can happen. We were camped in las Vegas when 50+ winds came and knock a few trees over breaking a water line. We were without water for two days. We had a full tank so didn't have a problem. Many were empty and left the cg

Jerry
Let me clarify what I meant. I agree about the fuel tank condensation. Our's never sits more than a couple weeks, and I typically have 1+ oz/gallon of Sea Foam in the tank and run through the generator if it will sit over 2 weeks.

What I meant by not running it full of fuel is this...at 8.5 MPG we are burning off weight rather quickly. When I leave for a long trip it is topped off to max capacity. I rarely blow and go down the highway without stopping, unless I had some odd reason for needing to be somewhere in a big hurry. So I plan stops where the fuel is cheapest. Then I am back at capacity again. If I am in a high price fuel area I may only add enough to keep the genny running and to get to a lower price area again.

Regarding the water...I will ALWAYS fill that to capacity before a long trip. Who knows what might happen along the way? Driving from AR to PA or FL or CO or MI...absolutely 50 gallons of fresh on board. We are not at all opposed to using that water tank for it's intended purpose. What I meant about not necessarily being full is if we are just making short (2-4 hours) runs for a long weekend I may not refill it for some time. We always have, or can get, bottled water somewhere. I keep cases of bottled water stored for those "just-in-case" situations. For a long trip we will have fresh water full for bathing, drinking, cooking.

A long trip starts with FULL gas, propane, and water and EMPTY black and gray. Gas goes quickly. Water is moved to other tanks. I always have bottled water for any emergency and for driving. Being in the Navy I learned how important fresh water is. And I am always prepared for any contingency with water. The motorhome is also our fall back location in case of a natural disaster, so stored it is always ready to go. And we have used other RVs we owned in the past for that.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.