Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
Hurricane34J

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi again. I am not sure I follow your software comment related to the 3 amp load capability; but if it was a software issue I would expect many other customers (with that software) would have the same problem.

It is possible that Firefly uses a transistor (not a relay) to control the problem fan (but I would lean to a relay since it is a motorized device)…….but it would still either require hard wire between controller panel and the fan, or a wireless approach for control. If wireless then there must be a small receiver module located near the fan or close by (with some kind of repair access) that actually turns the 12vdc on/off to the fan motor itself. If you can find the fan module you could try to obtain a replacement and see if that cures the issue (this assumes the module is flakey or sensitive to any AC noise coming through (or induced) on the 12vdc lines). Since this fan is the only problem load it would seem more likely that the receiver module at the fan is the problem (again assuming a wireless control). Maybe other owners will chime in who have had this issue and will suggest their final solution.

You could try your own relay control with a manual switch hard wire solution, but that defeats the Firefly controller you paid $$ for. I agree with you that this is not normal operation. The final fallback since I assume you are still under warrantee is the Dealer…….but at this time of year it is hard to get in and they have your coach for as long as it takes. You could ask Firefly to confirm if this is a wireless control of the fan install and ask them for a replacement receiver module if it is.

Couple of points.

1. The software comment is based up discussions with Firefly. They have software limits in amp/current draw. He gave an example where Thor said the water pump was 3 amp yet it needed 7/10. They updated the software to fix it

2. It is wired and not wireless. I believe they are switching with a transitor and not physical relay. However I can use their system to activate a physical relay if current was the culprit.

3. I try hard to avoid the dealer. But agree that may be the best option

4. I did consider that maybe the fan itself is bad. I may do some volt tests to see if we are losing voltage when it false starts or if voltage is good and the fan just doesn't start.

5. I generally do agree with your more customers would complain comment. However, I have worked with them on other issues that they have subsequently fixed...that they did not know about. Also, within a model year, we know how Thor and vendors update parts and substitute... Could have created a more unique situation. They have updated their firmware multiple times this week. That was due to bugs I identified...so it does happen.

I think my next step is to check voltage or current drops. Then if that doesn't give any leads I will try a physical relay. Sadly that I think that may be easier than trying a replacement and/or the dealer

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.