Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #16
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well I was wondering, since your coach is listed as a 2004, if you occasionally lubricate (monthly or depending on salt air/dirt/dust situation where camping) the jack rams....especially if they are steel. My jack rams are aluminum, but I lubricate them with silicone spray to keep them and any exposed seal lip as clean as possible (especially for extended camping). The other thing is if your system uses return springs (not hydraulics) it is not impossible for springs to lose some steam (like the rest of us) with age. Might be worth trying some silicon spray first (or something that will not attack seals) and see if the rams operate more easily afterwards.

Regarding the fluid reservoir.....I would follow the pump motor noise as they are usually co-located.

Regarding the fluid change......I have never done it, but often thought it should be done. I would probably just remove some fluid with a turkey baster (the DW needs a new one anyway) to a low level in the reservoir and then top up again with new transmission fluid. I am not sure if getting air into the pump/lines is an easy fix (like cycling the rams a few times) or if the hydraulic system would then have to be bled like brakes.

Turkey blaster or maybe a siphon hose is a great idea! I was thinking it would require opening the system and I wasn’t eager to do that. Wouldn’t take but a few minutes. Might have to do it a couple of times a few months apart to get “all” of it but even doing it once should get most of it. Thanks for a good suggestion. The owners manual says ATF is a suitable fluid. I wonder if it’s ideal of just “suitable”.... I think I’ll get a text off to lippert.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.