Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Upgrading Shore Power on Outlaw 29H

I have not been entirely happy with the shore power setup on my Outlaw 29H. They have the cable connected to the transfer switch on a rear storage bin. You need to pull the shore power cable through a hole in the side of the bin under the coach. The cable often gets tangled when pulling it through the hole and putting the cable back into the bin is an equal pain in the butt.

I saw a Four Winds Class C with a similar layout as my 29H but he had a receptacle in the side of his coach that had a twist lock for his shore power cable. I decided I wanted to do the same thing and I thought of an easy way to get it done and for only a few bucks.

The 29H has useless sewer hose storage compartment next to the storage bin with the transfer switch. You can’t put a hose in it if the fittings are attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	18179

I decided that I was going to use the sewer hose compartment to house a 30A twist lock receptacle that I would connect to the transfer switch in the adjacent compartment. Then I would remove the shore power cable and put a twist lock plug in it. Then I could just pull the shore power cable out of the storage compartment and plug it into the coach and the camp power.

I ordered the twist lock receptacle and plug off Amazon for about $35. Then one trip to Home Depot and about 2 hours of work with a couple modifications for mounting the receptacle into the opening of the 4” PVC that was meant to store a sewer hose and I had it done.

Here are some pics of the project:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3202.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	18180Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	18181Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	18182Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3210.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	18183Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3204.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	18184Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	18185Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3213.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	18186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	18187

The receptacle and the mount I created for it have gaskets to keep water out. I used a hole saw to cut a hole for the cable to exit out of the PVC pipe near the back where it is a short run into the back of the compartment with the transfer switch. I am going to use some
RV roof putty to seal around the PVC pipe where the cable exists. That should keep any water from getting into the pipe and back of the receptacle. I’ll use some spray insulation where I removed some to run the new cable to the transfer switch where the other cables ran into the compartment.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. Now it will be much easy to get the shore power cable out of and back into the coach.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.