Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
Check your owner's manual if you have one.
Put in 6 1/2 quarts. Start the engine and let it run a minute or so. Wait a couple of minutes to let the oil drain into the pan. Recheck the oil level on the dipstick.
This a good way to do it yourself.
Also, when putting the dipstick back in, don't rush to pull it back out, allow half a minute to assure a good reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You should always fill the new filter with oil before starting the engine that way the engine will always have oil upon start up. If you don't, it takes a short time for the filter to fill leaving your engine dry during that time period.
In an engine's internal oiling system, the filter is the last stop before joining the reservoir, then sumped back up to cycle again.
The only dry running is an empty oil filter.
Don't let that momentary lack of oil pressure, or oil light on, fool you if a sufficient amount oil has been put in.
Once the filter is full, oil backs up and pressure is developed!

Oil cycle: in oil pan > picked up by oil pump sump> goes through the oil pump > goes through the oil galley > then distributed to various engine components > some drips down to the oil pan lubricating different parts along the way, and at the end of the galley line, the excess oil being pumped goes through the oil filter and back to the pan.

Pressure is a direct reflection to the restriction of flow!
Air in the oil filter presents no restriction, thus the momentary lack of pressure, when a new one is put on empty.

Filling the filter first, you can do this if it makes you feel better, a lot of times it just presents itself as a messy problem.
Some oil filters mount horizontally on some engine applications.

At engine start up, if after 4-7 seconds & the light does not go off, or a pressure gauge doesn't read, then turn the engine off, look for a dipstick reading, and/or a puddle of oil beneath if nothing on the dipstick. Repeat if oil level good and add if needed, don't overfill!

(Honestly, I have often wondered about what the proper oil pressure is of a running engine in my earlier days as an apprentice. The pressure reading tells you a lot about what is happening. I would think concerns at low end would be at the lesser of 10 psi, less than that and a heavier oil is needed to fill the tolerances worn in. High pressures, greater than 25-30, would tell me maybe too thick of a viscosity, and reaching up around 50 psi, or +... would make me start to wonder if good oil lubricating flow was present, at that point I would check manufacturer's recommendations on oil type, grade, and pressures to be expected. On the RV/daily automobile end of the spectrum 10 psi to 30-35 psi should be good. Greater does not necessarily equal better!)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum