Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
VetPartTimer

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12125
Norcold 611 Troubleshooting

Hi all, been troubleshooting a Norcold 611 fridge, wanted to see what you all think:

Unit is fairly new (3.5 yrs old) in a 2016 Hurricane 29M. It's a combo AC/Propane fridge, not residential.

Fridge works great on AC. Does not cool on propane. I am always level so that is not the issue.

Propane lights, stays lit just fine. Flame is solid blue, no yellow/orange, no flickering, appears to be a good flame.

I've spoken to Norcold and a couple of mobile RV guys (one coming to the house tomorrow) and they are suggesting a few things, wanted to see what you think:

Norcold and 1 RV guy - says cooling unit itself is fine, because it works like it should on AC. Your thoughts?

Same 2 folks said it could be propane pressure (regulator). All my other propane appliance work perfect and my fridge flame looks strong, so I'm a little weary about this. Could this still be the issue?

All said it is likely NOT the oriface given the strong flame.

Norcold suggested it could also be a control board issue. Thoughts?

Leading up to today, I have had some intermittent issues on propane.

On 2 different camping trips in the last 9 mos, I have had the fridge get too warm during the trip. Was camping at the beach on both trips, so outside temperature was mild. Did some research, folks suggested testing the thermister by unplugging it. Unplugged it and overnight fridge got nice and cold. So I replaced the thermistor and all was good for another 4-5 camping trips.

Then, in the middle of another trip at the beach, fridge got warm again. So I unplugged the thermistor and after about 1.5 days the fridge was nice and cold again.

Strange to have a new thermistor go bad again and so soon?

So I got another new thermistor and put that in and this is where I am today. Fridge won't get cold at all on propane, with or without the thermistor connected. But it works great on AC, with or without the thermisor connected.

The thing I'm most concerned about is someone telling me I need the cooling unit rebuilt or need to buy a new fridge if that in fact is NOT the case.

Thoughts?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum