Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Our Cherokee Trailhawk tips the scales at around 4300 lbs. Pulling an additional two tons does effect the V-10s acceleration and I'm sure it knocks off MPG (though I haven't bothered checking mpg). You can't move that much weight without using more fuel to get moving or, pull it up a hill. I have not noticed any handling issues with the coach due to the Cherokee in tow. Last week we hauled the Jeep in 30 mph gusts. The MH was a handful did not notice the Cherokee getting tossed around at all.
My biggest issue is finding gas stations in small towns you can get the coach and toad in and out of. Interstates have service stations designed for travel trailers and MH's. The two lane highways through rural America we like to travel, fueling in small town USA can be a problem.
We pull a 2107 Cherokee Trailhawk. I guess that we lose maybe 1 MPG but it’s tough to say as we haven’t put many miles on our 2017 ACE 30.1 without a toad. Before the Trailhawk we dolly towed a Mini Cooper S. The ACE is a dog headed up our Colorado passes with or without the toad. At 9-10K ft there isn’t a lot of power so it’s patience as you slog up the pass at 35-40 mph. In tow/haul mode going down isn’t a problem as the transmission downshifts, but the engine is a screamer. Saves the brakes though.

I find that many small towns usually have at least one older gas station with pumps that parallel the road. In mid size towns (Steamboat Springs I’m talking about you) it’s often more difficult to find a station that can handle the the coach and toad. Too many (almost all) newer stations attached to convenience stores have their pumps perpendicular to the road and unless you snag an left side end row with a generous space between the pumps and the store you are SOL. I’ve had a few very close calls.When considering pulling into one of those spots they get a long look with the hairy eyeball before I decide to pull in.

On days when I need gas I spend some quality time with Google maps looking at satellite and street views to locate some candidates. Often when we stay in a RV park in a small town we will disconnect and then drive the coach into town to a station that can take the coach only. The ACE by itself has a remarkably small turning radius. (My wife’s Acura RDX has a bigger one than the ACE.) However you need enough space to get the back wheels clear of the pump island. Always use the left outside island so tail wag doesn’t put you into a bollard post.

We try and stay away from a Pilot, Loves, etc on the the road.Too crazy and a far too large of a supply of people who don’t understand that it’s not OK to go have lunch while you fill up, so they block an entire pump row for half an hour or more instead of finding a parking spot. If a Google maps view shows they have an RV lane, then maybe.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum