Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #15
CyRE

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12613
Girard GSWH-2

I have a '17 Compass 23TR. The hot water supply has been a problem since I got it new last year. It sat on the lot a long time. Problem is it takes 10-15 seconds to get up to an acceptable temp, then shuts down after another 30 seconds. The display shows the temperature blinking but no fan or flame going. Turn it off, wait a few seconds, turn back on and the cycle repeats. It seems to be better on city water. Randy at RV service in Yreka CA suggested flushing the system with white vinegar (a gallon of distilled white vinegar costs about $3.50), and to do it 3 times. I basically followed the same procedure for winterizing by accessing the tube on the left side of the rear compartment and attaching a hose and sticking it in a gallon of vinegar. Then took the outside shower head off and put the end in an empty gallon jug. Ran it through, switched jugs, and repeated 2 more times. Then flushed with tank water until vinegar taste/smell gone. Randy said hard water (ours is very hard) can gum up a sensitive switch that has to work for the unit to function. Similar to having to clean the coffee maker. If it is gummy very likely the heater is also gummed up. I also decreased the pressure in a small accumulator tank I had put in the system to below 10psi (the factory setting). So now seems to work much better. I notice Amazon offers a different model Girard 2GHWAM. Anyone know if this is an improved model? Can't find it on their website. Could it be counterfit model?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum