Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana&Kerry View Post
One reason we purchased a rv was that my wife has asthma. I thought I could rent a car at our destination but all of the cars we looked at had a strong perfume oder, which is a trigger for her asthma.

The asthma and perfume are the reason Lyft, Uber and taxis won’t work.

So one option we are now considering is to tow our Lincoln MKS on a dolly.

Can I do this?

I have a 2016 Thor windsport 27K. The weight is 18000 and if I am reading the book right, it can handle an additional 8000 lbs. The curb weight of the MKS is 4100 lbs. the MKS is a Ford Taurus.

What would you recommend for a dolly? I have looked on line at the acme tow dolly, and several that PPL and camping world carry.

Acme said there are several of their dollies being used to tow MKS today. Not to doubt them but is anyone using the Acme dolly with a MKS or Taurus? It is about 100 lbs lighter than the others so it is intriguing. Their pictures make it look like they put some thought into the design.

Kerry
Questions that must be answered, can the MKS steering wheel be locked and does the dolly have a rotating bed?

If the wheel can be locked just about any dolly will work as long at it is wide enough.

If the wheel cannot be locked you need to research whether or not a rotating bed dolly will work. The manual for my Master Tow (has a rotating bed) specifically states the steering wheel must be locked when towing. My MKZ Hybrid did not have a locking steering column (wheel). I traded the MKZ for a Jeep Grand Cherokee which gets outfitter for flat towing next week.

Bottom line, read the dolly instruction manual for steering wheel locking requirements before purchasing.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.