Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I don't questions the numbers, but just curious to understand the industry thought process with regard to safety.

How can Thor get away with saying it can pull 8,000 lbs, when known weight of RV is 18,000 lbs and the Max Weight is set at 23,000? Is Thor lying? Most other RV Mfgs say Max tow weight is 5,000 lbs. Their numbers add up. I was giving Thor an advantage until I read your explanation because I thought I could pull 3,000 lbs more?

What am I missing....
The maximum combined weight is the key. If the GCWR is 23000 and the GVWR is 18000 then you can safely tow 5000. If you remove some weight from the motorhome (e.g. leave the DW home) you can tow a little more as long as the GCWR does not exceed 23K.

Based on my experience Thor does not tell you that you can tow 8000 lbs. Thor tells you the hitch is rated for 8000 lbs and lets you do the math based on sticker to determine what you can tow. All of their literature mentions the hitch and not the towing capability. The only exception I have seen is with their Super Cs where they proudly boast the towing capacity of 10,000 lbs.

Now a dealer may have sold you a bill of goods during the sale but that wasn't Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.