Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 AM   #43
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
YIKES! Major electrical issues. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
No Display yet
I'm. still not sold on the value of solar for an a, b, c rv. The v10 uses half to three quarters gallon an hour at idle to charge/run the house.

$1.75 an hour to charge can't be offset, in my head, by $7,000 in solar and batteries. (my last solar on my 19ft toy hauler).
I'm not against it, I just can't justify it. The rv lives inside on shore power.

Not to highJack the post but...... Where did you come up with $7000?

My Outlaw 29H was prewired and I spent about $700 for two 160W flexible panels, a MPPT charge controller and some connectors.

It was well worth it. I never have to plug into shore power to keep batteries charged. The MPPT Charge Controller even has an Equalization Mode. I also have a Trik-L-Start installed that maintains the chassis battery from the house batteries so the solar keeps everything charged.

I replaced the stock Inverter with a Xantrex Freedom Xi 2000 and can run the 5000BTU air conditioner in the garage during the day off the batteries or the fridge when I have some decent sun..... and that is with the two stock house batteries. The solar keeps up very well.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.