Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Wheel bearings
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #23
Big-Foot

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"Most of the trailers you see alongside the highway with a hub and wheel missing are equipped with a zerk"

I had to chuckle at this comment. You stop to evaluate each breakdown along the highway???

Reason your drum brakes had grease in them was because the quality of the grease seals. You have to go out of your way to buy QUALITY seals these days.
No I don’t stop at all of them. If someone’s broke down and looks like they need help, I pull over well in front of them, walk back and help. Lots of other drivers like to honk and laugh... I don’t get it...
I live in Minnesota during the warm months. You’ve heard of that place I’m sure... Land of 10,000 Lakes? Yeah, that one...
Lots of lakes means lots of boats. Many people are in too much of a hurry and are running 70+ with a trailer equipped with small tires in the 12-13” wheel size.
High speeds and little wheels make for a lot of bearing heat.
I’ve been stuck alongside the road many years ago and a kind person stopped to help us. I just want to repay that favor by helping others when I can.

As far as the seals on the trailer I bought - they were spring seals with double-lip seals. My local NAPA dealer tells me that people that pump grease in too fast or use a pneumatic/electric grease gun will push the seals out most every time.
I had no further problems once I serviced it properly.
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.