Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #41
SANDDOG

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Couple quick points here...

On smog laws and these specific aftermarket tunes...

1-New vehicles in California have 8 YEARS before you'll need a smog. That's a long time.
2- If your GVWR is below 14,000, you'd be getting a BAR OIS test, which (at this time, this is changing though) doesn't know or doesn't care what the exact calibrations (CVN numbers) are during the smog test. In other words, as long as there are no codes and the needed monitors are run, you WILL pass smog with any of these particular aftermarket tunes in these particular vehicles. If you're over 14,000 GVWR, then you'd be getting a BAR 97 test (2 speed dyno), which again, as long as there are no codes, monitors have run and the aftermarket tune isn't totally butchered, you should pass even the dyno test just fine.
3- Any of these aftermarket tunes can be put back to totally stock calibrations in a matter of less than 5 minutes. So if you do need a smog, you simply load the stock tune, drive it for a few days and go get your smog done.

On trans downshifting, running rpms and gas mileage...

There's a reason why Ford drops the 6 speed from 6th to 4th really easily. Both 5th and 6th gears are overdrives. You REALLY don't want to be putting a whole lot of load on overdrive gears. So dropping from 6th to 4th most of the time is actually the right way to climb a grade, ESPECIALLY when towing.

Technically, the highest efficiency in an engine is at the lowest rpm and the widest throttle opening for the given load. I say technically because that's in a lab with 100 other variables taken out of the equation. It's basically when the engine's pumping losses are the lowest. In reality, it has to do with all those other variables, like how the engine calibration is written, how the engine itself is built (intake and exhaust runner design and sizes, compression ratios, bore/stroke, cam timing and profile, etc, etc,). I've got about 8,000 miles of data on my V10 already, I log about 30 engine PID's every time I drive. Fun fact- you actually CAN get better gas mileage at 2500rpms vs 2000rpms in the right conditions with the way these V10's are built. It's not all cut-and-dry, there's a lot to this stuff. The worst part for us with the V10? That it doesn't have VVT. If it had variable cam timing tuning would make an even bigger difference in gas mileage and torque. (That's something that makes the new Ford engine so exciting, it has VVT.)
Hey GMtech - I for one appreciate everything you wrote here and makes total sense and I understand it thank you for your input
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum