Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
My last 12v fridge was on my first RV (2006) and it did not work at all on 12v. It was a 3 way Dometic (I believe) which worked on either 110 or propane but wouldn’t keep anything even cool on 12v. I will be interested in seeing comments on how owners like the 12v fridge and in reading anything else on it. Everything else has improved in the last 13 years since my last 12v fridge, so I am open to seeing if this one works. ....cut.....
The cooling systems are completely different. It’s not even like comparing apples and oranges, because those are at least both fruit and about the same size.

What you had was an absorption refrigerator that works from heat. That heat could come from a propane flame, or an electric resistance to produce heat. It’s extremely inefficient to cool a fridge using 12V battery to produce heat. It’s borderline stupid if we’re honest with possible exception of using alternator current while driving to save propane.

The new 12V refrigerators do NOT use heat to power an absorption cooling cycle at all, but rather use a compressor just like a home residential refrigerator. The only difference is that the compressor motor is 12V direct current instead of 115V alternating current. You can’t compare at all to your previous fridge in any meaningful way.

I’m not saying these will be flawless (only time will tell) but you can’t go by what old absorption refrigerators did in the past. Quality 12VDC fridges in van campers have been very successful for years. I don’t know which brand Thor is using.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum