Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Class C (Outlaw 29H) Passenger Rear Shock

Anyone with a longer Class C ever replace their shocks themselves?

I am considering upgrading the shocks on my Outlaw 29H to the Bilstein Shocks. I know the driver side front on the E-450 can be a challenge but I believe their is an access hole on the firewall under the floor mat to access the top nut on the shaft.

I figured the rears would be easy until I crawled under and took a look. The driver side is fairly easy but the passenger side is not.

Apparently Thor welded a thin metal plate on this side of the coach to protect the floor from exhaust heat. In doing so they have covered up access to the top of the shock to remove the nut, etc. from the top of the shock.

There is a very small opening near the top of the shock as you can see from this picture where they made the muffler hanger bracket. Might be able to get an open end wrench in there to hold the nut.... that may be a trick in itself..... but going to be tough to loosen it, remove it and install a new shock. I can barely get one or two fingers in there.

Access to the top of the other side of the shock is completely blocked off by the metal plate.

I am thinking I would have to try and cut a hole in the metal they installed but that won't be easy either given the floor is above it.

Anyone have a similar setup and replaced the shocks and know of any tricks I might be missing?

Thor sure doesn't make it easy sometimes.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Passenger Shock.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	19183

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum