Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 02:45 AM   #10
Mr Sunshine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Good answers from people who are experienced. Check out the Dinghy Towing Guides from Motorhomeag Magazine to make sure the car you want is OK to tow.

I have used both Blue Ox and Roadmaster baseplates, and prefer the way Blue Ox mounts without an external crossbar on the tow car. Some car models will only have baseplates from one company, so there is no choosing. I have toured the Blue Ox factory in Nebraska and the people there are top notch. They inspected and rebuilt my tow bars at no charge!

I am still using the same Blue Ox tow bars that I bought ten years ago. They are comparable to the Alpha model. My second car required a baseplate from Roadmaster, so an adapter was used. With either brand of tow bars, get the kind that swivel and extend for easy hookup.

I have no experience with the portable brake systems, but can tell you that the mounted unit I have is super easy to hook up. One two wire cable connected while hooking everything else up and that's it. I am on my third towed car, and have switched the car part of the brakes between cars. I'm on my second motor home, and have switched the motor home part between them when I traded.

Many folks get along fine without towing a car, and there are countless discussions searchable on this forum. For us, it's part of the way we travel. We'll set up the coach and go exploring. Your results will vary...

Happy trails!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.