Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 AM   #4
TomAndLindaRogers

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb52 View Post
Has anyone come up with modifications for the storage in their Hurricane 29M, particularly the under the bed storage or under the dinette bench? Trying to get things in and out of the under bed storage is difficult - one must lift up the mattress and the wooden top piece and hold it open with your shoulder or back whilst pulling stuff out or putting in. We store some extra egg crate foam mattress toppers for the extra beds in our camper, and it's really difficult to take them in and out, along with extra quilts etc. that we put in there. Our thoughts: something to hold wooden cover in place (prop it up) while getting things out, such as a rod. Or cutting a door into the end panel of the bed that could slide across providing access, eliminating the need to lift the heavy bed. Anyone tried anything that has worked? Just looking for ideas. Pictures would be helpful if you've modified something to help with storage. We also have storage in this RV under the couch area, but that is really hard to access without pulling out the whole pullout bed, so we don't keep much under there.
I created storage space under the bed by removing three of the four panels under the mattress and replacing them with one hinged panel with two struts to help lift and support it in the open position. As your can see in the pictures I removed existing structural supports and replaced them with structural reinforcement on the under side of the hinged plywood panel. To protect electric components on the left side I installed an ⅛” hardboard cover under the hinged panel. This design works well but I’m sure it could be improved by moving the left strut to the far left side over the electrical components.

Good luck with your project,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8187532C-85E0-499F-8AFE-E96C31DE83AE.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	19368   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A141109-04D9-44E0-A82C-0C3FDFB954B7.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	19369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	92F29240-5BB3-4F5D-BC70-2A23EEB374CE.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	19370  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.