Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
Pabs4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, tons of writeups on this mod.

For best results use the heavy duty 50 mil Dynomat asphalt type insulation followed up by the 3/4 inch thick "Fat Mat" (or any other brands you like for the price).

The Name brands IMO are sticky-er and have less odor (I have tried 4 diff brands over the years). But they all lose odor over time so no worries.

Cover the inside of your dog house as well as the ENTIRE fire wall and under your dash (access from under the hood). I was very impressed with the results on my Axis. I also found other areas to add sound and heat insulation over the years. It all adds up. Not as quiet as a DP but very livable.
YES! We were one of the people whose Vegas had zero insulation under the “doghouse”. We added some Fat Mat hood liner. I wish we had doubled up with dynomat like Road suggested but we might redo it one day. Even with just the 3/4” FatMat the improvement was noticeable. Just yesterday I took some of the Frost King duct insulation we bought at Lowe’s and installed it under the dash on the passenger side inside the RV. Be sure to get the kind that is not fiberglass. I wasn’t up to the challenge of trying to install it under the driver’s side. There are a lot more wires and cables over there but I did slide some in between the accelerator and the side of the console. My husband started the engine and we were both shocked at how much quieter the engine noise was! We didn’t drive it so that will probably change it a bit.

I looked at trying to add some FatMat to the dash under the hood but it’s August in SE Texas. I’ll have to wait until it’s cooler. I’ll also probably have to take some contortion classes seriously, how do you manage to get up in there?

Finally, can anyone tell me what the firewall looks like and where it is located? I have tried to research it for myself but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.