Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #22
Cwray

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
On the topic of EMS...

This summer I was at a campground that during peak hot weather (1-4pm) started tripping my Progressive Systems EMS. It showed that both legs of the 50Amp service were dropping. When one leg went below 104 volts, the EMS tripped and threw an error code showing why.

It was a pain in the @ss to have my RV that was already struggling to stay cool get hotter due to no AC. None of my other friends and their friends have such a system, quoting the same reasons stated above. Their recommendation was to remove the EMS and just “go raw”.

On the last night of the 4th of July long weekend, the campground blew a transformer at 2am. The friends were all hooked up to that circuit at the time and didn’t get their power back until 14 hours later.

Did their rigs all fry because they were connect at the time? I didn’t hear about it if one did. Were some of the electrical stuff damaged in any of the rigs? I would think so, but I couldn’t tell as most folks left that day and I only knew a handful of them.

But was I glad that I had a $300 device between all that happened and my big new rig? Damn glad.

While I don’t want to be “tac-ti-cool” with a ton of useless gear. I look at stuff like at as a ratio of $$$ against an expensive investment. To me, saving a comparatively small amount of money and risk a greater one doesn’t make much sense.

To each their own...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum