Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #26
Cwray

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
and a side note:

Most of the electrical issues one might encounter, such as the story mentioned above, is not necessarily a problem that effects individual RVs, or their electrical systems, but effects the electrical system in the area, at the park, or even a whole city. A transformer having an issue, whether lightning strike, or just because it was old and on it's last leg and the summer's demands brought it down, only creates a loss of electricity - i.e., the power goes out.
It effects everyone exactly the same: power loss.

Power Loss is not anything that can 'fry' your RV, or cause any issue whatsoever, no more than when you pull the shore power plug when you are ready to leave - you are simply losing power. RVs are designed for that. They are engineered that way. They are mobile. They even EXPECT to lose power. None of that, in itself, is harmful.
Your home loses power, and then eventually it is restored. Nothing changes, and you didn't have an EMS or protection for it... why the need for one for the RV?
I think I would disagree on that part though. I have lots of computers, laptops, monitors, game consoles, high end tv’s etc in my household now and over the years. Brownouts have definitely fried some of this stuff when not properly protected. I never lost my refrigerator, HVAC units, or had bulbs blow out. But I’ve replaced more than my share of power supplies and a some items that are plugged directly into the wall into a detachable power supply..

While some undoubtedly just wore out, a majority of those happened at the time of power problems for the house. It’s pretty easy to look up at many sources on the internet about what happens to electronics when voltage sags or fluctuates. But less electronics and some luck on how outages happen to you could give you a good run on not having a bad experience I suppose.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.