Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
Choxnpinz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Replace junk thermostat?

Greetings! I've searched the forums and seen so many different threads I'm now thoroughly confused.

2018 Thor Chateau 31W with a Coleman Mach 15k BTU air conditioning unit on the roof. No heat strip (although I'd love to get one). Propane furnace.

The thermostat (as pictured) is losing its touch with reality, and I'd like to replace it with a digital one, but I have no electrical background. The slider can sit in one position and the A/C will stay on forever or sometimes not start up at all. If I shut it off for and walk away to cuss to myself under my breath for a few minutes, it usually comes back to its senses, but will turn on when the slider hits the trigger temp and then never shut off when the desired temperature is reached.

Some threads mentioned a Honeywell unit (but every thread recommends a different model) and one recommended an Orbit unit (which I noticed only has an ON/AUTO for fan and no way to adjust it for HI or LOW flow).

Has anyone replaced theirs with a digital unit and had everything go RIGHT? Most threads involve jumpers, swapping wires, and lots of head scratching that would just leave me feeling frustrated and angry with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

I'll answer any questions you may have if you need more info, but I'm hoping for one unequivocal correct "guaranteed to work every time" model that an idiot can match wire for wire and not screw it up. Yes, THIS idiot. LOL

Many thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	19770  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.